dietary profile: Gluten Free
With just tomato sauce, ground beef and Oregano Fennel Fusion, you can create a meaty red sauce at home that’s better than just about anything you’ll find in a store or restaurant. This Fusion has it all…flavorful oregano, aromatic fennel, and a touch of red chili flakes for sweet heat.
Makes 3 cups of sauce or 4-6 pasta servings
26 ounces of tomato sauce, chunky or smooth (We like Pomi Organic Strained Tomatoes)
4 Tbsp Everett's Oregano Fennel Fusion (one whole pouch)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground pork or beef
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup carrots diced
- Heat tomato sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally until just boiling.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add olive oil and Everett’s Oregano Fennel Fusion, more or less depending on how much flavor you like. Stir occasionally and simmer for 20 minutes so the flavors can infuse your tomato sauce.
- While the sauce simmers, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Stir it occasionally to break it into small bits for the sauce. If carrot and onion is desired, add it to the meat and saute until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain the grease and pat with a paper towel to remove even more grease from the ground meat.
- Add the meat to the sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Pour extra sauce in mason jars while it’s hot for maximum freshness.
Use this flavorful meat sauce on pasta and in lasagna. Try substituting 1 lb of hot Italian sausage for the ground beef if you’d like a little more kick in the sauce.