dietary profile: Vegan, Vegetarian
This is the perfect grab and go “egg” breakfast sandwich, and there’s no drive-up window involved! Turmeric adds the “egg” color, and Everett’s Celery Sage Fusion adds the savory flavor. We like it simple with a slice of tomato and melted “cheese’, but you may want to add vegan ham or bacon to make your own special variation on a classic!
Makes 4 sandwiches
4 English muffins or 8 toasted bread slices
15 oz tofu, extra firm
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp Everett's Celery Sage Fusion
4 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp Indian Black Salt (Kala Namak)
Grated or sliced vegan cheddar cheese
1 tomato, sliced
Vegan ham deli slices
Sprinkles of Bac-uns
Non-dairy butter (We like Miyoko’s)
- Slice the tofu horizontally and then in half to create 4 tofu steaks. The shape of the tofu will be rectangular which is perfect if you’re putting it on toast. If you want it to fit your English Muffin, use a glass or mug to cut the squares into rounds.
- Cover the tofu steaks with a light layer of turmeric to add the yellow “egg” color. Then generously coat them on both sides with Everett’s Celery Sage Fusion, black salt, and yeast flakes. (If you have time, do this the night before to more completely infuse the flavors into the tofu.). The black salt and yeast flakes add an eggy flavor to the dish.
- Heat some oil in a skillet and cook the tofu for about 8 minutes, 4 minutes on each side. While the tofu cooks, toast your bread, slice your tomato, and grate or slice your cheese.
- Layer the tofu, tomato and cheese on the bread. Add vegan ham or bacon if you’d like.
- Put under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese, and it’s ready to go!