dietary profile: Vegetarian
This is our veggie take on a classic French stew and a wonderful comfort food. This hearty dish is smoky and delicious, especially if you decide to add savory seitan or veggie sausage.
Makes 4-6 hearty servings
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
1 head of broccoli, coarsely chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 yellow or red pepper, diced
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock
2 Tbsp Everett’s Lavender Thyme Fusion
1 13 oz can of cannellini beans
2 Tbsp butter (dairy or non-dairy) or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs (We prefer Panko)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a dutch oven or large oven safe pot on medium heat.
- Add all of the veggies and stir periodically until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, vegetable stock, Fusion and beans. Stir for about 2 minutes until moist but not soupy and remove from heat.
- Add the liquid smoke if desired and stir thoroughly.
- If you want to add diced seitan or sausage, this is the time to fold them in.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- To make the crumb topping, add the butter or olive oil to a separate skillet and heat on medium until butter is melted or olive oil is hot, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and parsley and heat through until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring periodically until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the veggie mixture in the oven safe pot.
- Cook until bubbling at the edges, about 20-25 minutes depending on the depth of your dish.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!